Friday, 7 August 2026

Game of Thrones: A Storm of Swords by George R.R Martin

   


Game of Thrones: A Storm of Swords by George R.R Martin

Tiny Overview

Winter is still coming, wars are still raging, religious psychosis has intensified.





Themes:

  • Adventure
  • Betrayal
  • Cli-fi
  • Dark
  • Fantasy
  • Politics 
  • Moral ambiguity
  • Violent

Context

Martin drew heavy inspiration from the Wars of the Roses, that happened in the 15th century in England, as well as many other medieval wars. He combined this with the inspiration of Tolkien, and boom. GOT.
Martin also runs a blog, which is interesting.

A Storm of Swords is the longest book in the series so far, making the UK split it into two editions, and France splitting it into four.
Source, warning! Spoilers!

My Waffling

Spoilers!!!! I name drop a lot of deaths.

I find it very difficult to write reviews for the GOT books. They are so big, so many things happen, and it's getting even harder to write with minimal spoilers.

It took me a very long time to read this book. It took me a month and one day. I really enjoyed this though!

This book moved a lot faster than the last one, A Clash of Kings. Thank God for that.

As usual, most characters died. The GOAT Tyrion lived though - and that's what matters. A lot of important people died and it was a real shock. I had to reread the same sentences multiple times because it was so unexpected. I really shouldn't be surprised or shocked anymore, as Martin loves to kill off everybody. It is nice and refreshing, nobody seems to have too much plot armour, and he doesn't seem too attached. Captures the medieval "everybody is dirty and on the verge of death" vibe very well.

More world building, more war prep, more sneaking about.

I loved when Dany bought all the slaves in exchange for all her riches and a dragon. My first thought was "If I was to do that, I would immediately take over the place to get my dragon back." And then she did! She also went around and took all the slaves from the Free Cities. I found it very repulsive when they all called her "Mother". She was 14 in the first book, so she must be roughly around 16 now. Still absolutely mental.

I found that in the last book, A Clash of Kings, Dany's chapters were very sparse. They were even more sparse now. If I'm entirely honest, it feels as if Martin forgets about her, and then does a short chapter, with lots of progression, then moves on.

Bran's chapters I found very, very boring. I liked the brief overlap with Jon. That was the only bright side from all of his chapters.

Jon's chapters were great, other than the fact that it felt like most of his journey was for nothing. All he managed to achieve was becoming emotionally attached to some wildlings - he never found out what their battle plans were.

Very interesting that Winterfell is still in ruins after 2 books.

I am very sad that they did not include the scene of Sansa confessing Joff's terrible behaviour to her to the Queen of Thorns in the show. I was so excited to see how they would do this in the show, with the shouting, high tension, and big banquet setting. And then they just did it in a garden in a cream tea setting...

I really did not expect Joffrey to die. Did not believe he was dead until his autopsy was mentioned - I do not believe that Tyrion poisoned him. Otherwise, his new wife would have died too! This was loosely mentioned, but by her brother, more worried that she could have died too. But it was not used as a reason for why Tyrion is innocent. This might be something that is covered in the next novel. Side note, poor Margaery, again. Still find it so hilarious that in the show, they made Renly gay as he died before he could have sex with her. Her virginity has became a small major plot point. Homosexuality has still not been mentioned - I find this is so hilarious. They made him gay for no reason.

GOT relies on the reader to have a good memory. To remember who the characters are, where the characters actually are what they know, and the plot.

I do not.

I was reading, and then suddenly after a chapter nothing to do with Jaime, he doesn't have a hand? I am unsure if it was mentioned and described (it must have, and I missed it), or if it was just a sudden plot point that happened while the focus was on someone else.

From an Instagram comment, apparently Martin uses a lot of foreshadowing in 'boring' paragraphs, especially when describing food. But, unfortunately, that's lost on me. Entirely my fault. I have still not gotten used to his writing, everything is still a surprise. However, I knew that Lysa would not be happy when Petyr nonced on Sansa, but I really did not expect Lysa to be murdered by him! That did have me in shock, and I had to go on a little pace around.

4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment