Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
Tiny Overview
Nick and Amy move from Brooklyn, New York to North Carthage, Missouri after losing both their jobs during the 2009 recession.
When Nick wakes up on his fifth wedding anniversary, his girl is gone.
Themes:
- Contemporary fiction
- Crime
- Mystery
- Psychological thriller
- Suspense
- Thriller
Context
My Waffling
My Mother reads a lot of books. She gave this one a 5/5 rating, and told me that when the twist happened, she was so angry that she threw the book across the room.
I think I enjoyed this book.
I did not figure out the plot, but I did not believe she was dead and I did not believe that Nick did it. I found it interesting how his mind worked though. Especially at the end!! SPOILERS When he said that he would not leave Amy because she loves him so much, that she would go through all this effort to frame him for murder, and no other woman would go to such lengths. This made me roll my eyes and I panicked for the baby that was teased at the end.
I liked Amy's diary entries, however I did not take much note of the date on them.
The fact this is how she punishes people and how she always got away with it made me hate her even more, but the reveal of it was very good. My favourite part was when Amy was held captive by Desi Collings - it felt like she got what she deserved. A high contender was when she was pretending to be poor, then she got robbed, and then she genuinely was for the first time in her life.
From listening to Rock, Paper, Scissors by Alice Feeney, I learnt not to trust the narrators in a story - and I fear that ruined it for me. I read the whole book with a suspicious face.
A critique of the writing: oh my God, could Flynn have chosen a harder nickname for Margo? 'Go' at the beginning of sentences that I read for her name, then I had to reread due to it being a verb. It happened often, and also happened the other way around. Flynn has a very unique writing style, that did take some getting used to. I have never heard women being described as having a "vaginal smell". I texted my boyfriend and asked if he has ever thought this and he would not believe me that it was in the book, so I sent him a photo. He denied ever thinking this. I think Flynn needs to calm down.
4/5
No comments:
Post a Comment